SUPPORT PEWABIC POTTERY’S ANNUAL FUND
A GROWING POTTERY
Continuing a century long legacy
Pewabic has been handcrafting pottery and tile in Detroit since 1903. We are proud of this remarkable tradition of craftsmanship, and proud to be one of the few historic potteries still in existence today. By 1907, Pewabic had outgrown its original home and built a new pottery – our current home on Jefferson Street. By 1912, that building was already too small and needed to be expanded to keep up with demand. We’ve since added an education courtyard, and an adjacent building for our administrative staff. For more than twenty years, we’ve rented a neighboring firehouse to house our vessel making.
It’s time again to add on to our tile studio.
The Challenge Today
With the ongoing renaissance of Detroit, demand for our work has never been greater. In the past four years, we’ve added two new production kilns to help meet the demand. Our biggest challenge now is working space. Our kilns can handle 1,800 square feet of tile per month, but we only have enough space to physically process 1,000 square feet. Which has led to lead times of up to 16 weeks.
We have space in our kilns, but we’ve run out of room to make the work.
“I knew they made tiles in the old style, but I had no idea the conditions were so primitive!”
– MCACA grant panel reviewer
TILE STUDIO EXPANSION
Adding Space to Create
Using an empty lot on the back corner of Pewabic’s campus, we have an opportunity to add a 2,500 square foot addition to our tile studio. The addition will maintain the historic character of our building, while more than doubling our production capacity.
Better Environment for Artists & Visitors
The single story addition will feature a flexible, open floor plan to house our mold making and tile pressing. The additional space will offer:
HOW YOU CAN HELP
The Tile Studio building, equipment and operating reserve will cost $1 million and will allow us to continue to tile Detroit for years to come. We need to raise $350,000 by April 15, 2017 to begin construction. Thanks to a $70,000 grant from the Michigan Council of Arts and Cultural Affairs, we are well on our way … but we need your help to reach this goal. Your tax-deductible contribution, large or small, will help sustain one of Detroit’s true cultural treasures.
For more information, contact Sandy Schuster, Pewabic’s Development Director at 313-626-2002 or email@example.com.
A GIFT TO PEWABIC MEANS SUPPORT FOR YOUR ENTIRE COMMUNITY
Your past support has helped make Pewabic one of Detroit’s cultural treasures. Thank you! With a gift to Pewabic’s 2016-2017 Annual Fund, you can continue to make an even bigger difference!
Your tax-deductible gift will help:
- Maintain our National Historic Landmark building and archival collection of early 20th century arts & crafts pottery – preserving a Detroit treasure for generations to come.
- Create new tile and vessel designs – continuing a 113-year tradition of handcrafted ceramic art.
- Offer compelling exhibitions of contemporary art – providing artistic inspiration through clay.
- Host school fieldtrips, classes and workshops for more than 9,000 children – opening hearts and minds to learning through art.
- Contribute to the economic revitalization of Detroit – sustaining the only cultural arts organization along the East Jefferson corridor and helping to bring more than 38,000 visitors to the area each year!
Please keep the tradition going and build towards the future with a generous gift to Pewabic’s 2016-2017 Annual Fund!