The Scarab Club in Detroit features a historic, sculpted Pewabic medallion designed by Pewabic’s architect William Buck Stratton above its main entrance. The Scarab Club was founded in 1907 as a gathering place for artists and art enthusiasts.
In the late 1920s, Pewabic tile was commissioned for the exterior of the building. It was only fitting, considering Pewabic Co-Founder Mary Chase Perry’s strong presence in the art and sculpture scene of Detroit.
The scarab came to symbolize renewal, transformation, and resilience throughout our establishment as a non-profit. We have added more Egyptian motifs to our production catalog over the years, many of which are available in this collection.