Bee Necklace | Iridescent
Based on a historic Pewabic design, our charming bee pin is the perfect spring accessory. During the Great Depression, Pewabic Co-Founder Mary Chase Perry Stratton pivoted her focus to small vessels and jewelry that directly inspired our current collection. Animal forms such as this were created for consignment, primarily to a gallery in New York during World War II. This Pewabic classic has buzzed its way right into our hearts!
Many consider the Iridescent glaze to be Pewabic's most important contribution to ceramic art. Through trial, error, and sheer persistence, Mary Chase Perry Stratton developed her first successful Iridescent glaze in 1906. Establishing the formula and stabilizing the firing process took another three years.
Today our Iridescent pieces are fired somewhat similarly, though with safer materials. It requires a third firing and a process called fuming, when vegetable oil is injected into the kiln to create the extraordinary one-of-a-kind effects.
- Necklace chains are adjustable up to 28" long in sterling silver
- Handcrafted in Detroit
- Pendants are individually hand-pressed in our own stoneware and glazed by Pewabic artisans
- Pewabic logo stamped on back
- Slight variations in glaze and firing results ensure each handcrafted Pewabic piece is one of a kind
- In Blush Iridescent glaze