ONLINE SECONDS SALE
SAVE THE DATE for our online seconds sale — Wednesday, April 17 + Thursday, April 18 starting at noon Eastern
Back by popular demand, our Online Seconds Sale gives Pewabic fans who are unable to make it out to the Pottery a chance to shop select seconds items.
Note that the photos in our online listings will not show the full range of products, only a snapshot of a few instances. Your second will be selected at random, is non-refundable, and cannot be exchanged.
For first access to the sale, become a member with us or renew your Pewabic Membership. This is a great opportunity to get imperfect Pewabic vessels, art tiles, and ornaments at a steep discount up to 50% off.
IMPORTANT SECONDS SALE INFORMATION:
- Subscribe to our newsletter — Stay in the loop! We will be sending reminders and sharing important information in the weeks leading up to the sale.
- What's the benefit of becoming a member? — Members will get first access to the sale starting Wednesday, April 17 from noon - 3pm Eastern. After that timeframe, remaining seconds will be available to the public. Seconds tend to sell quickly, so we cannot guarantee that there will be substantial stock after shopping hours reserved for Pewabic Members.
- NOTE: Member discounts are not added to seconds discounts — Members will have first pick of seconds items, but their discounts will not be added on in addition to these marked down prices. Not sure if you want an imperfect Pewabic piece? Our members receive discounts year round on most purchases.
- Preparing for the sale — Please note that your items are not secured until you have completed the checkout process. You can streamline this process by signing into your account and saving your preferred payment option. You can also download the Shop app on your smartphone to easily track your orders and organize payment and shipping options.
- Prices and sales are final — No additional discounts are applied. Pieces will be priced as marked. All online seconds purchased are final sale and not eligible for returns or exchanges.
What makes an item a second?
Seconds are imperfect. They haven’t passed our quality assurance for a number of reasons ranging from imperfections on the glaze surfaces, unexpected color results, cracks, fractures, warping, odd shapes, or missing/incorrectly placed stamps or makers marks.
Our team has been hard at work narrowing down this selection so there are minimal imperfections that do not hinder the functionality of the piece. Below are some examples of what you can expect from a second. Please note that these depicted flaws and items do not represent the items that will be available this year.
Glaze bubbles, pooling, pitting, crawling, running, and extreme color variation can cause a piece to be deemed a second based on its glaze surface. You will notice some examples of unsatisfactory glaze results in this trio of Calla Vases.
cracks + warping
With the extremely high temperatures of the ceramics process, warping and cracking are common reasons for pieces to be removed during our quality control review. You may still find minor fractures, cracking on the back side of tiles, warping, and chips that will not be visible after grouting amidst this seconds sale.
shape + form
This category is most applied to our vessels – vases and drinking vessels. When a new wheel thrown object is designed, or an artisan is being trained in our wheel thrown forms, many of their first attempts will end up as seconds.
stamps + markings
You may notice that some of our seconds are missing their signature Pewabic, Detroit, or artisan stamps. Other times the stamps may have been put in the wrong location. You will also notice a black X or a special stamp designated for seconds on the bottom or back side of each piece. This is how we track that an item is reserved for a seconds sale.
what will be available?
The sale will include vases, drinking vessels, ornaments, and embossed art tiles while supplies last. Items in the sale will be priced up to 50% off. Member discounts do not apply to seconds sale items. No additional discounts apply. Seconds are sold as is and are not eligible for returns or exchanges.
Architectural tile will not be included in this year's Online Second Sale due to limited availability.