4x8 Peacock Tile
In the 1920s, Pewabic co-founder Mary Chase Perry Stratton traveled abroad to Europe to find inspiration for her tile installations. When Stratton visited Rome, she was influenced by the imagery in the catacombs to create these Peacock Tiles. Peacocks represented immortality in historic Roman society.
This symbol especially resonated with Mary as the peacock motif was also associated with the Arts & Crafts Movement, particularly within the US. These peacock tiles can be found in churches, schools, and private residences.
- Measures 4” x 8”
- Handcrafted in Detroit
- Individually hand-pressed and glazed by Pewabic artisans
- Pewabic logo stamped on back
- Slight variations in glaze and firing results ensure each handcrafted Pewabic piece is one of a kind
- Available in Glacier Gloss and Peacock Glazes
- See our other historic peacock tiles - 2x2 Peacock, 5x7 Peacock, Hand-painted 5x7 Peacock.